Office of the Registrar
The Office of the Registrar supports the education of students at California Northstate University and serves to protect the integrity of the degrees granted. Essential responsibilities are to maintain accurate records, allow access to student records in compliance with the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), and to support the academic program of the University by gathering, maintaining and distributing information. Inherent in the effectiveness of this office is a commitment to objectivity and equity, with the understanding that there is an obligation to communicate information accurately, effectively and in a timely manner.
The Office of the Registrar is the official academic records office at California Northstate University and the Registrar maintains timely and accurate academic records, and ensures the privacy and security of those records.
The Office of the Registrar…
- Is the only office authorized to issue transcripts, enrollment verifications, letters of good standing, and degree certifications (please see Services and Form);
- Schedules and registers students for classes, records grades, performs degree audits, and coordinates graduation;
- Provides enrollment data for internal and external reporting, and assists departments and the administration of the University by providing reports, analyses, and recommendations required for policy formulation;
- Guides academic departments in complying with California Northstate University policies and procedures pertaining to the observance of the academic calendar, examinations and grading practices;
- Maintains and allows access to student records in compliance with FERPA and provides FERPA training to new and current CNU faculty and staff; and
- Facilitates access to the Faculty and Student Portals, in conjunction with the CNU IT department.
The Office of the Registrar places services to students, faculty and administrators first among its priorities, recognizing these persons as the Office’s primary constituency. The Office of the Registrar is a primary information resource for students and faculty. This office actively seeks ways to effectively communicate, to inform students about academic policies and procedures, and to provide prompt access to information. The Office also seeks ways to continuously improve the quality of service provided, and to anticipate ways to better meet the changing needs of the CNU Community. The Office of the Registrar strives to be a leader in the use of technology-based solutions and maintains electronic records to better meet student needs.
The Office of the Registrar strives for excellence while promoting a friendly and welcoming environment.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)
[Annual Confidentiality of Student Education Records Notice]